banner58

South Sudan: Ruling against retired military officer next week

“The defense case is closed and the final ruling will be given on the 23rd of this month”, presiding judge Ladu Eriminio Sekwat said during the hearing session

banner57

South Sudan: Ruling against retired military officer next week

“The defense case is closed and the final ruling will be given on the 23rd of this month”, presiding judge Ladu Eriminio Sekwat said during the hearing session

15 February 2018 Thursday 17:22
South Sudan: Ruling against retired military officer next week

By Azania Post Reporter

THE final judgment involving an advisor to rebel leader Riek Machar will be given in Juba, South Sudan late next week.

According to Reuters, William Endley who served as an advisor to Machar was arrested in August 2016.

Early today, a high court in the capital Juba said none of the witnesses called by the defense appeared.

“The defense case is closed and the final ruling will be given on the 23rd of this month”, presiding judge Ladu Eriminio Sekwat said during the hearing session.

Endley’s lawyer Gardit Abel Gar told media that six witnesses had been served with a notification to testify, including a government minister.

In addition to charges of conspiracy and the supply of weapons, Endley - a retired army colonel - was accused of espionage, waging an insurgency, sabotage, terrorism and illegal entry into South Sudan.

He was charged alongside James Gatdet Dak, a former spokesman for Machar, who was handed the death sentence on Monday for incitement and conspiracy against Kiir’s government.

South Sudan, which won independence from Sudan in 2011, descended into civil war in 2013, months after Kiir fired his then deputy Machar. Tens of thousands of people have been killed and a third of the population has fled their homes.

Machar, who fled to Democratic Republic of Congo after fierce fighting broke out in Juba in July 2016, is now in South Africa under virtual house arrest.

Talks on a new power-sharing arrangement and an election are taking place in the Ethiopian capital but clashes have continued despite the signing of a ceasefire in December.

The ceasefire agreement was intended to renew a 2015 peace deal, which lasted less than a year before collapsing.

Azania Post

Updated: 15.02.2018 20:24
Comments
Avatar
Your Name
Post a Comment
Characters Left:
Your comment has been forwarded to the administrator for approval.×
<strong>Warning!</strong> Will constitute a criminal offense, illegal, threatening, offensive, insulting and swearing, derogatory, defamatory, vulgar, pornographic, indecent, personality rights, damaging or similar nature in the nature of all kinds of financial content, legal, criminal and administrative responsibility for the content of the sender member / members are belong.