Man Utd transfer news: Woodward wants Mourinho SACKED claim, Pogba’s Barcelona choice
banner68
banner58

Man Utd transfer news: Woodward wants Mourinho SACKED claim, Pogba’s Barcelona choice

banner57

Man Utd transfer news: Woodward wants Mourinho SACKED claim, Pogba’s Barcelona choice

10 August 2018 Friday 12:07
Man Utd transfer news: Woodward wants Mourinho SACKED claim, Pogba’s Barcelona choice

MAN UTD transfer news continues to make the headlines following the closure of yesterday’s window and Express Sport is on hand to bring you all the reaction and the latest gossip.

Woodward sacking Mourinho claim

Manchester United might have purposefully denied Jose Mourinho his wish of a new centre-back in the hope that they can drive him out of the Old Trafford hot-seat.

Former Chelsea midfielder Craig Burley has proposed the idea that United’s refusal to grant Mourinho his demands may stem from a sinister desire to get him to quit without having to pay a huge fee to sack him following his new contract back in January.

That, Burley says, or executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward - the man in charge of transfers - is simply not good enough at his job.

“I’m astonished that a club of their ilk, a club who with their clout, a club that finished so far off the pace last year in terms of the points gap - we know they finished second but the points gap was huge - that they have done little or nothing,” Burley said.

Man Utd transfer news

Man Utd transfer news: Jose Mourinho failed to sign any players on deadline day (Image: GETTY)


“It beggars belief. There can only be a couple of things here, either Ed Woodward is so inept in this part of the job where David Gill the former chief executive was pretty good and had a good relationship with [Sir Alex] Ferguson.

“Or Ed Woodward and the United board are absolutely trying to make Mourinho’s life as miserable as possible in the hope that they can work out some sort of deal where he goes sooner than later.

“Because you’re not telling me Man United couldn’t go out there and spend money on players.”

Pogba’s Barcelona decision

Manchester United star Paul Pogba has decided not to join Barcelona as claims of him wanting pay parity with Alexis Sanchez emerge.

Pogba is on Barcelona’s list of transfer targets for the summer, with the La Liga window shutting on August 31.

His failure to replicate his France form for Manchester United, coupled with his Mourinho rift, has led to talk of a Barcelona move.

Yet EuroSport claim the 25-year-old has no intention of moving to the Nou Camp this summer.

They also say that he has NOT demanded the same wage of Sanchez, who is the club’s top earner.

The Chile international pockets a huge £400,000 each week, while Pogba settles for a handsome £250,000.

Varane bid

Manchester United discussed a £100m bid for Raphael Varane late on in the transfer window, but ultimately failed to bring in a new defender for Jose Mourinho.

The Manchester United boss cut a frustrated figure through the window as Ed Woodward failed to land his top targets.

And now it has emerged Varane was also spoken about in the corridors of power at United.

The Times report that United discussed doing a move to the point that Woodward met with Real Madrid chief Florentino Perez in Miami, but he was told Varane would not be leaving.

Man Utd transfer news

Man Utd transfer news: A £100m Raphael Varane bid was reportedly discussed late in the window (Image: GETTY)


Positive Mourinho message

Jose Mourinho has to pour all his efforts into ensuring Manchester United overhaul Manchester City rather than moan about transfers, according to Sky Sports pundit Tim Sherwood.

Manchester United failed to sign any players on deadline day, much to the chagrin of Mourinho.

And Sherwood is adamant that Mourinho needs to try and send out a ‘positive vibe’.

“Most managers don't spend the amount of money in a lifetime that he has in the last two seasons,” Sherwood told Sky Sports’ The Debate.

“He's been very fortunate to have been given the funds at one of the biggest clubs in the world, so I can't understand why any manager, with that backing, is ever disgruntled.

"I think Jose needs to get in front of the camera in a press conference and send a message to the players saying, 'This is what we've got, I believe in you and we will push Man City a lot closer this season'.

"As a manager, when you sit in front of the media, you are not only talking to your fans and players, you are also talking to the board and I think he's got to stop talking to the board now.

“There's nothing you can do now, the window is closed, he has to carry on, knuckle down and get the best results for his club. He needs to send out a positive vibe.

“He's got [Victor] Lindelof, [Eric] Bailly, [Chris] Smalling or [Phil] Jones, they are all international footballers and they are now thinking that they aren't really wanted there.

“The manager tried to sign a centre-back, wasn't allowed to do it and he's almost been left with us.

“Now is the time to knuckle down and get on with it and start sending a positive message about the whole club."

Comments
Avatar
Your Name
Post a Comment
Characters Left:
Your comment has been forwarded to the administrator for approval.×
<strong>Warning!</strong> Will constitute a criminal offense, illegal, threatening, offensive, insulting and swearing, derogatory, defamatory, vulgar, pornographic, indecent, personality rights, damaging or similar nature in the nature of all kinds of financial content, legal, criminal and administrative responsibility for the content of the sender member / members are belong.